Sunday, February 10, 2013

Hats Off to Heidi

Heidi's card
Today's card is a result of weekend homework from my online CAS class.  We were to use one of the featured cards from other students in the class to inspire a card of our own.  It didn't take me long to figure out which card to use - I fell in love with the way Heidi designed this card.  Of course, I don't have the stamp set and have had to use self-control not to buy one for myself!  Love the sentiment too!

In taking the class I have figured out that big sentiments are useful for CAS cards.  I also went out and bought a pair of craft tweezers.  In one of the videos last week, Julie (one of the Queen's of CAS cards) mentioned that her hand gets in the way when placing things, so she uses tweezers.  LOVE them - a tool I have used on almost every card since I bought them!!



 Here's my card.  You can see how I used Heidi's idea to have my flowers cascade down from the left corner.  I only colored one flower to replicate Heidi's red flower.  I had a sentiment that I wanted to use that said you are one of a kind, but it was too small.  As I said, big sentiments are helpful with CAS cards like this.  Luckily I had a few from Papertrey purchases.

White embossing powder is used for all of the flowers and the sentiment.  This card uses two different Stampendous daisy stamps that I have had for years.  The swirls and solid flower clumps are from PTI as well.

This is the first and only card I stamped!!  I didn't waste paper this time!  I stamped on scrap paper before I began to work on the kraft card stock. Doing it this way gave me a chance to test out where to place the largest daisies (deciding that "less is more") and then the filler flowers and swirls.  I'm learning some tricks to make my CAS life easier - slowly, but surely!



P.S.  A Monday night addition. . .
I puttered around with another version of this card last night.  The color combination came from a Splitcoast color challenge - very vanilla, basic black and crumb cake.  See how much busier this card is that the one above.  The black seems to keep your eye moving around the card and counteract all of the extra white flowers.  I had to fudge the ribbon a bit.  All of my black ribbon is thin or sheer.  For the bow, I used the sheer 1/2" dotted swiss behind the 1/4" gross grain.  I think I placed the border ribbon too low, but the placement of the sentiment allowed me to raise the bow and not have it took goofy.  See what I mean - much easier to hide mistakes when there's more going on!

6 comments:

  1. OOOOH, I like the one with the black. I never did sit down to make a card. After we talked I had another few episodes and today was a really crappy day. Back to calling the doctor again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy! I LOVE the black one! It's very striking! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Renee!

      Good to hear from you! Thanks for the comment and following my blog!

      Cathy

      Delete
  3. Wow, look at you crank out the CAS cards! I like both but I see what you mean about the one with black looking busier. I saw your card in the PTI contest - what fun if you win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great CAS cards! Yes, big sentiments are very useful. I like the one with a pop of color, very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the two variations of your cards, they are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate each and every one of them. Cathy